❝If you talk to a man in a language he understands, that goes to his head. If you talk to him in his own language, that goes to his heart.❞ ‒Nelson Mandela
At FWSU we are fortunate to be able to offer world languages to many of our students. Learning a new language is not always easy, but it is worth the challenge! Gaining world-language communication skills can be the key to unlocking new opportunities in a rapidly-changing global marketplace. Schools recognize that foreign language instruction is vital to preparing our students for success in a future that has yet to be defined.
Here are just a few of the many reasons to learn a foreign language (Why Learn a Foreign Language? st.Johns.edu 2012):
- helps you to expand your view of the world
- encourages critical reflection on the relation between language and culture, language and thought
- expands your opportunities for meaningful leisure activities (such as travel, viewing foreign language films, watching foreign TV programs)
- develops your intellect (encouraging good learning habits, memorization, combining course content and skills in a meaningful way)
- improves knowledge of the native language (through comparison and contrast with the foreign language)
- exposes you to modes of thought and viewpoints that are available only in the foreign language and its culture
- helps to build practical skills that may be used in other disciplines
- fosters your understanding of the interrelation between language and human nature
- teaches and encourages respect for other ethnic groups
- contributes to the development of your personality
But perhaps the best reasons are to challenge yourself and to have some fun too! Students at BFA have choices between French and Spanish once they reach high school with Madame Poulin and Senor Vecchio. At GEMS, Spanish begins in Grade 7 with Ms. Peterson. Ms. Peterson is new to GEMS and we are glad to have her join our team of language experts!
Join the adventure!!!