Last week, FWSU Special Educator’s participated in a professional development opportunity focusing on “Systems of Support for All Learners.” The participants engaged in table mate conversations focusing on the following subjects:
What is “Special” about specialized instruction?
What is your specific role “Specialty” as a special educator, as a team member?
- Multi – Tiered Systems of Support (MTSS) and Service Delivery Models;
- Disability impact analysis and statement writing practice;
- “Catch up” vs. “Keep up” considerations;
- Matching accommodations to profiles – is it a match?
- MTSS system balance assessment – where does special education fit in?
The framework for the special educators was to engage in collaborative conversations about service delivery.
We continued to discuss the need to move toward: “A comprehensive, systemic approach to teaching and learning designed to meet the academic and non-academic needs and improve learning for all students through increasingly differentiated and intensified assessment, instruction, and intervention, provided by qualified professionals with appropriate expertise.”
- What are possible barriers and implications?
- How do educators assess balance between “Catch Up” and “Keep Up” within our current system delivery model?
- Discuss your role within an MTTS model. What is working? Where it there opportunity for growth?
Our staff will continue to explore service delivery models in order to ensure all students are receiving the most effective and cost effective support possible to improve learning.
Target 3- Flexible Learning Environments. “FWSU will maximize flexible learning environments by redefining the school day, promoting learning experiences that extend beyond the school classroom, and fostering creativity, innovation, and differentiated learning opportunities for all.
Action Steps- Provide students with access to content, resources, and methods for learning beyond the school day and beyond the school walls. Develop opportunities for students to collaborate, innovate, create and conceptualize in all learning settings.
“Education is for improving the lives of others and for leaving your community and world better than you found it.” ~ M.W. Edelman
One thought on “Building Systems of Support for All Learners”