The Franklin West Supervisory Union (FWSU) Board seeks a full-time Superintendent to begin July 1, 2020. The previous Franklin West Superintendent approached this position with an ambition and vision that has made FWSU an active part of the global community. Within our three schools, this leadership created a culture of education that focuses on giving our students the tools they will need to create solutions for the problems of tomorrow by engaging in authentic learning today. The FWSU community is seeking a candidate that can continue to lead Franklin West with the same amount of energy, creativity, and vision, focusing on a “belief in what is possible.”
Located in beautiful Franklin County, Vermont, FWSU is pleased to serve the thriving communities of Fairfax, Fletcher, and Georgia by providing innovative, personalized public education for over 1,700 students. Franklin West Supervisory Union is comprised of three member school districts and serves Bellows Free Academy Fairfax (PreK-12), Georgia Elementary & Middle School (PreK-8), and Fletcher Elementary School (PreK-6). A leader in #VTED, FWSU is proud to be an Apple Distinguished Program, be recognized as a P21 21st Century Learning Exemplar District and an IVECA Distinguished Global School District, and an inductee into the Digital Promise League of Innovative Schools.
SUPERINTENDENT LEADERSHIP AND MANAGEMENT NEEDS
- Bring to the FWSU a vision that will continue to foster the progressive goals of the SU and its individual districts.
- Oversee the management and supervision of the Supervisory Union Central Office and its wide variety of financial, operational, and educational functions.
- Provide supervision to and support of the leadership team (which represent the elementary, middle, and high schools in the supervisory union) so that the administration and staff of each school are inspired to maintain their focus and commitment to supervisory union and building-based goals for continuous improvement; special emphasis includes orientation, support and development of two principals who will be completing their first year in the SU.
- Instill and maintain a positive, supportive working relationship with school boards based on shared values of transparency, effective communication, and collaborative problem solving.
- Lead negotiations for collective bargaining agreements.
- Create, modify, and oversee significant technology initiatives.
- Conduct ambassadorial work on community-school relations.
- Offer fresh eyes and insights on the SU for administrative and/or board consideration.
- Demonstrate currency and experience in the areas of Vermont policy, law, union relations, and AoE interfaces.
- Have specific knowledge, understanding and insight into state-wide AoE priorities.
- Carry out the policies adopted by the school board relating to the educational or business affairs of the school district.
- Identify the educational goals and objectives of the school district and prepare plans to achieve those goals and objectives for adoption by the school board.
- Recommend that the school board employ or dismiss persons as necessary to carry out the work of the school district.
- Furnish the Secretary of Education data and information required by the Agency of Education.
- Provide for the general supervision of the public schools in the supervisory union.
- Act as link of communication among Board, schools within district (including staff, parents and students), and community members/groups. Maintains relationships with Agency of Education.
- Organize, prepare for, and attend Board meetings as needed. Submit recommendations along with essential documentation that will assist the Board in making decisions. Alerts Board on all matters that require approval (policy changes, master agreements, etc) to ensure legal compliance. Develop and recommend long-range plans and vision for the school district which are consistent with Board objectives. See to the execution of all decisions of the Board.
- Hire, supervise, and evaluate FWSU and school administrators. Conduct meetings supporting and directing Administrators as needed.
- Oversee educational program with Director of Curriculum, Instruction, and Assessment on short and long term curriculum goals.
- Assures school districts follow necessary state guidelines regarding Education Quality Standards and the Vermont Comprehensive Assessment Program.
- In support of the Director of Support Services, assure appropriate programs are in place for students with disabilities and directs Administrator when needed.
- Assure adequate records for the schools, including a system of financial accounts, business and property records, personnel records, school population and scholastic records. Act as custodian of such records and all contracts, securities, documents, title papers, books of records, and other papers belonging to the Board.
- Be directly responsible for news releases and/or other items of public interest emanating from all District employees that pertain to education matters, policies, procedures, school related incidents or events. Approve media interviews of this nature with District employees. Acts as spokesperson as necessary.
- Oversees Business Manager in areas of budget operations and annual/quarterly reporting. Confirms annual proposed budget and submits it to the Board. Assures all funds, physical assets, and other property of the District are appropriately safeguarded and administered by the Business Manager.
- Assure effective relations with employees/organizations; assume ultimate responsibility for collective negotiations with employees of the District. Conducts negotiations with union(s) regarding contracts, disciplinary issues, master agreements, etc.
- Assures proper licensure for all districts, including accurate contract offerings.
- Ensure a safe and educational environment for all learners.
REPORTS TO Franklin West Supervisory Union Board of Directors
EVALUATION Performance in this position will be supervised and evaluated by the FWSU Board of Directors.
SUPERVISES/EVALUATES Supervises all school and district administrators and staff; evaluates all FWSU Administrators, School Principals, Executive Assistant.
- The successful candidate will possess:
- A proven record of accomplishment as an educational leader
- A solid vision for creating 21st Century learning environments in our schools
- Comprehensive understanding of best practices in curriculum/instruction
- Knowledge of Vermont education law
- Exceptional communication and human relation skills
- Innovative problem-solving and effective decision-making abilities
- Superior planning/organization/time-management skills
- Demonstrated capital and fiscal management experience
- Healthy sense of humor
- Evidence of Vermont licensure as superintendent of schools or being appropriately licensed on or before the first day of employment.
- Salary will depend on experience.
Franklin West is a strong and functional supervisory union known for its progressive and forward-thinking approach to learning. The SU’s vision and direction is well established, and the result of this is a highly student-centric organization that has earned the respect and support of its communities, as well as national and international recognition. Teachers work collaboratively, staff is committed to student learning, and the administrative team consists of both relatively new and veteran members. Individual boards thoughtfully govern their respective districts, which then work together to create equity across the SU. This is an exciting opportunity to lead a high-quality district committed to partnering with its schools and communities, to influence education for its students and staff in a positive way.
For More Information and to Apply, click here to view the listing on SchoolSpring.